View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 07:21 PM

Default HiFi Tuning Fuses Installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
The primary purpose of a fuse is to protect the equipment associated with it. Sound quality is also relevant but is a secondary consideration. A blown amplifier does not sound very good.

I have not seen any time vs. current curves for any of the audiophile fuses. Not have I seen any ultimate energy breaking capability ratings, which are especially of interest for the high powered amplifiers we use. Nor have I seen any evidence of UL or CSA certification.

Please correct me if any of the above information is incorrect.

Now with all that said, there are real physical reasons audiophile fuses may sound better. DC resistance, AC impedance, mechanically induced changes in fuse resistance- these are all real world differences that may impact the sound of the equipment fitted with these fuses.

I remain interested in exploring the sonic possibilities of hi fi fuses and they are on the list of power system improvements I will be making in the coming months.

I would feel much better if these fuses were as well specified as a 50 cent fuse from Bussman or Littlefuse.

Also if I could try them out at little to no cost to me, which I can usually do with cables, I would be more inclined to experiment as the cognitive bias of spent money would not be a factor.

Good post!

The only thing I would argue/add, the primary reason for a “mains” fuse (120/240 VAC) is for safety; protecting the gear is secondary.