View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottikid View Post
I want to setup for both. Am using an M&K MX200 sub. The low pass filter goes from 40Hz to 250 Hz. What do you recommend. The Marantz has Audyssey which recommends setting the filter to 250Hz.

Front speakers I think set to Large. What do you recommend for the crossover. I want to get the best sound possible. I'm guessing 250Hz. For the Bass Subwoofer Mode again I'm guessing LFE + Main. Crossover for the LPF for LFE GOES FROM 250 Hz to 80 Hz. What do you recommend. The rear, side and center channels Audyssey chooses 80 Hz. Is that ok. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. Want to get everything she for when speakers arrive.
Best to experiment to find out what sounds best to you. But a couple of comments:

Using the highest LPF on the sub itself, which seems to be 250Hz, is preferable, assuming you can't actually turn off the filter. Reason being is that the Marantz is applying a LPF, and applying two filters causes phase problems.

Audyssey have consistently maintained that the best setting for all speakers is typically 80Hz. Regardless how "big" the main (Front L/R) speakers are. The reason for this is that Audyssey typically had relatively few filters available below 80Hz for the primary channels, compared to what they make available for the .1 sub channel. My experience is that this is something you should play around with. The choice of what range of normal low frequency material (as opposed to LFE) is sent to the sub or the main speakers would depend on:
  • How good the sub is
  • How good the main speakers are
  • How good is the amplification driving the main speakers (the Sopras are demanding below 60Hz - they need an amplifier capable of delivering decent current into 3ohms)
  • How difficult the room may be in terms of bass response
How LFE + Main works varies across brands, and I don't have a Marantz processor. But typically it means that the sub is now playing bass frequencies from the primary channels IN ADDITION to the speakers of those primary channels, up to the sub's LPF setting. Which is why it is sometimes called Double Bass. Certainly not advisable with Sopras as your main speakers, unless you have some weird room modes. I think plenty of people misinterpret this option and think it somehow enables them to get more bass out of the main speaker - in fact it is to drive additional bass out of the sub. It would only apply if your main speakers are set to Large, with a crossover point below 80Hz.

Would recommend you set up the Sopras on their own, i.e. in stereo with everything by-passed (direct mode) to find the best position in terms of distance from rear and side walls, toe-in etc, before you even start looking at Audyssey. As per the excellent advice from Superfrg in his earlier post.

I like Audyssey for surround sound / AV duties, but not for music. So I would always listen to music in Pure/Direct mode myself, but that's just me. The Marantz has a reputation for having a pretty decent preamp stage, so maybe start saving for a decent 2 channel power amp worthy of the Sopra as the next goal? Or alternatively a very good integrated that has an AV by-pass facility. The Sopra are certainly resolving enough to highlight any deficiencies in source or amplification, whereas something like the Aria line, by example, would be much more "forgiving".