View Single Post
Old 06-10-2018, 10:22 PM

I realize this thread is from a few months ago, but I was curious if anyone had any thoughts on using the Flux 50 NCF in the following application:

For starters, I currently have one Flux 50 NCF between my Furman Reference 15 (one of the symmetrically balanced outlets) and my Audio Sensibility power distributor, which feeds my sources, plasma, and surround controller.

I should be receiving a second Flux 50 NCF this week, and one place I'm planning to try it is on the Furman's IEC.

So that means that the components getting the symmetrically balanced current from the Furman will be "seeing" two Flux 50s in their path: one on the Furman's input and one on the Furman's symmetrically balanced output.

I realize there's no real substitute for seeing how it actually works out in my own system, room, etc., but I'm wondering if there's any obvious (or at least plausible) downside to using two Flux 50 filters in series like this? (Could it result in filtration overkill? Or would it merely be redundant, and not detrimental, for those components already on the first Flux 50 NCF, while benefiting the amps? Observation 4 below provides a bit of specific context for this question.)

Some background observations, in case they're of interest:

1. Even without the Flux 50 NCF, plugging components into the Audio Sensibility is much better than plugging them directly into the Furman's outlets. This was true as well with my old Oyaide MTB4 power strip, but the AS Statement SE is a big step up from the (very respectable) Oyaide.

2. Not surprisingly, adding the Flux 50 NCF between the Furman and the AS distributor provided a huge boost for sound and picture. Previously, my old F-tech Flow 28 filter worked well between the Furman and the Oyaide, but there was a marked improvement when I replaced the Flow 28 with the Flux 50 in that setup. (I wonder to what extent that's due to the narrower conductors on the Flow 28, which, unlike the Flux 50, are narrower than my PCs' conductors.)

3. I first tried out the Flow 28 on the IEC of my older Furman 15PFI. That worked well for sources and controller, but I quickly noticed that it killed the bass from my amp...again possible due to the Flow 28's narrower wire compared to my PCs'. So that's how I got the idea of using the Flow 28 and Oyaide to daisy chain sources, plasma, etc. from the Furman.

4. Using PS Audio Noise Harvesters, I noticed a while back that just powering the Furman on (I normally leave it on all the time) reduces the noise elsewhere on the line, not just via the Furman's outlets. But with the components downstream of the Flux 50, a Noise Harvester doesn't blink at all, even when Noise Harvesters plugged into the Furman's A/V (LiFT) outlets are blinking a little. So the Flux 50 is clearly removing a lot of noise!

Finally, FWIW, I have a High Fidelity MC-0.5 in the second symmetrical AC outlet, where it adds some extra liveliness to the daisy-chained components. And the Furman is a completely different beast with the topline Rollerblocks. And the Furman has an FI-09 NCF machined in plus a bunch of added internal EMI/RFI shielding, resulting in much better grip and depth than the stock unit, though I wouldn't call the difference night and day.)

Ok, I realize this got longwinded, but I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts besides, "Let it rip and see what happens." Thanks in advance for any feedback.