Thread: Bricasti M28
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2016, 12:00 PM

I got my new pair of M28 about a month ago. I can say with most certainty that my system has never sounded this good.
I have a pair of the last run of the B&W 801 Matrix S3. Bought them new in August/September 1997. They have been powered by a series of amplifiers (Threshold S550e, Sonic Frontiers Power 3 monoblocks, A pair of Threshold T400 bridged to mono, McIntosh MC601 and Bricasti M28).

When I added the McIntosh I thought I was at the end of the rope for my amplification so I thought about upgrading my speakers but I was hesitant due to the huge differential in cost versus the potential benefit.

I have been a happy owner of 2 Bricasti M1 DACs for over two years and since I listened to the M28 at RMAF 2014 (I think) I was totally taken by their sound. Bricasti's room with the M28, M1, Tidal Piano Diacera and Silver Circle Audio Tchiak 6 conditioner to me has been in the top 2 or 3 best sounding rooms regardless of cost in every show I have been.

When I finally got the M28s in my system and after 20-30 minutes of warm up I set down to listen. The next thing I had to do was to pick up my jaw from the floor and wipe my tears from my eyes... The sound was so beautiful, coherent and musical! I have never experience this level of controlled deep bass in my system ever before.

I invited on of my trusted audiophile friends to come over and listen. He know my system well so it would be a good test. We listened for 5 straight hours and did an A/B comparison against the MC601.
First we listened to the M28 and immediately after just a few notes of the first song he tuned and looked at me with an astonished face and just said "Wow". The next song I played was "The Hush" from Rea & Christian. This sound is very musical and has deep bass. Once again he turned and said "I have never heard this kind of bass before, are you still thinking on selling the speakers? I'll buy them from you". Obviously my answer was "Not any more".

Even that the MC601 are great amplifiers (moved them to my other system and sold my S550e) out of the A/B comparison the M28 were the clear winners. The level of detail, soundstage holographic presentation, bass and musicality were too high for the MC601 to match.

The system is pretty simple. A Mac Mini dedicated music server with external linear power supply running JRiver, Wadia 20 CD Transport, M1 and M28s. A Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One is the conditioner. All the wiring is WireWorld. You know about the speakers now and they are on Sound Anchor stands and the M28s are on Sistrum platforms.

I am in audio Nirvana the Bricasti equipment. The only potential future change.... A pair of Tidal speakers (I guess I am allow to dream )