View Single Post
Old 11-03-2022, 07:21 PM

Default Altaira Chassis Hub or Alpha NR v.2 PC for the bedroom?

Given system variables, I understand that this may not be an easy question to answer, but in looking ahead to my post-Christmas break-in to my penny jar (I like to plan ahead), which option is likely to improve sonic performance more in the bedroom system detailed in my signature block--an Altaira chassis hub with Venom v3 ground cables or an Alpha NR v.2 PC for my c-j Premier 17LS line stage (currently fed by a Delta NR v2)?

I ask because replacing the Delta XC v2 with an Alpha XC v2 to feed my Delta D6 power distributor has effected a significant improvement in perceptible resolution, soundstage dimensionality, and transient quickness. My first thought was to consider an Alpha NR to feed the c-j line stage currently fed by a Delta NR. But seeing the Altaira video and reading commentary on the unit suggests that my pennies might be better spent on dealing with system grounding.

Note that none of my source components has a dedicated ground terminal, but each has at least one spare set of RCA input jacks available, so I'd ground-connect via that route. The amp has neither a ground terminal nor a spare set of jacks, so I'd have to find a chassis screw that would provide an actual ground connection.

Your thoughts and advice appreciated.

TIA.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.