View Single Post
Old 12-07-2021, 06:19 PM

Default WallyTools and WallyReference

Last weekend I used the new WallyReference to verify VTA on my Rega P9 with Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum. When Sound Organization (Rega distributor) shipped the table to my dealer, they had installed 2 x 2mm shims on the arm. Using the WallyReference I verified that the cartridge height is 16mm - I’m assuming Sound Org thought Koetsus are 18mm like Lyra, Ortofon and many others. Rega carts are 14mm, which is what their arms are set up for by default. After removing one shim, the headshell, and by default the top of the Koetsu, are perfectly level on a 180g album. Another 30 minutes spent re-tweaking alignment with the Feickert protractor, and the setup is about as perfect as I'm going to get it. It had been sounding very good before, but with just a little edge and brightness that I thought might be breakin. The VTA adjustment has completely cured that, and with about 40 hours of breakin, this setup is sounding just amazing - all the usual hyperboles apply. I know others (e.g. Michael Fremer and J.D. Bosclair) recommend microscopic analysis to determine individual cartridge parameters to fine tune VTA, zenith and azimuth, but that’s a bridge too far for me. The WallyReference was a worthwhile investment.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 12-07-2021 at 06:30 PM.