View Single Post
Old 07-24-2021, 12:17 AM

Sorry for taking so long to report back. It’s been crazy busy at work leaving me not a lot of free time. So with the time I’ve had available I could listen… or I could write… I guess I can write while I listen… but noooooo, I wanna listen. I don’t wanna go to work. I just wanna listen. Okay, I gotta write something. Just one more album. At the moment, it’s Virgo: Atzko Kohashi, Tony Overwater and Angelo Verploegen. Last night, Yo-Yo Ma and The Goat Rodeo Sessions. Artemis. Paul Brener Band. Thad Jones and Mel Lewis- Pot Pourri. Jen Chapin- Revisions. Need to stop and eat… and maybe sleep an hour. Trombone Shorty- Parking Lot Symphony. Sinne Eig & Thomas Fonnesbaek. I can’t put them down. I mean stop listening to them. Supertramp, Katie Melua and Eva Cassidy. Count Basie and Joe Williams- Kansas City Shout. Pink Floyd. More Pink Floyd. Ablaze Cissoko. David Bowie and Queen. A bunch of Holly Cole. Hiromi. My family wants to do an intervention. Keiko Matsui & Bob James- Altair & Viego. A whole bunch of stuff on Qobuz I can‘t remember the name of…

Opium for the eardrums…? Aural opium? What can I say? They sounded great right out of the box. Better now but no noticeable rough spots.

How the system I am listening on came together is the subject of another, future string. In the meantime, starting at the wall: WW Silver Eclipse PC to Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD—>>> PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Int. Amp with KT120s. Music comes from a Synology DS 415+ and Qobuz to Bryston BDP-3—>>> Singxter USB Digital to Digital Converter (i2s) —>>> Holo Audio Spring Dac Kitsune Edition. Interconnects are WW Silver Eclipse. USB is WW Platinum Starlight. Speaker cables are WW Silver Eclipse 6. Components are sitting on Stillpoints Ultra SS and Ultra Minis. Everything except the speakers and Shunyata are on a Quadraspire double width rack. My previous speakers were Thiel CS 2.3 (about 26 years old). The room is about 12.5 feet x 15 feet with a 12 foot ceiling. The speakers are set up along the long wall with the back of the speakers about 24 inches from the wall, front of the speakers about 6 feet from me and the speakers are about 7 to 7/12 feet apart with mild toe-in, maybe 15 degrees, and about 4 feet from the side walls. They are sitting on (bolted to, actually) Dynaudio Stand 20s. They are not spiked in at this point. The highs are …. I’m trying to think of the right adjective but the acoustic bass is like vibrating me through making it hard to think. I could be much more expressive if I would turn off the music but I’m not turning off the music (aural opium, remember?). The speakers are fast, very fast and yet the notes have their full decay. Really well balanced. Back to the highs- they are crisp, have sparkle when that’s what is in the music and yet, in 100 or so hours of listening I cannot remember one occasion of hearing sibilance that I didn’t know was baked into the recording. The bass is full but tight, lush but not at all sloppy. I can’t say they go ultra deep but in the room size I’m in and the music I listen to, it does not sound or feel like I am missing anything. In fact these little speakers let me feel the bass through and through.

I have not listened to any complex classical music yet. The opening track on The Goat Rodeo Sessions has all sorts of strings of all types coming in and out, some bowed, some plucked, some strummed- and you can hear it as all the separate instruments. Nothing blurred together at all. Big band sounds like big band. Amazingly big sound for such little speakers and about 42watts into 8 ohms amplification. Soundstage is goes almost to both side walls. Depth pretty much stops at the back wall but comes up to about a foot in front of the speakers.

I took a chance buying these without auditioning them first (but I was given sone “change your mind time) but I can tell you these babies ain’t going back. They are a really good workable size for my room and are sounding just really good. They don’t just sound good but they feel good. Listening to them is just… just like… aural opium. They are only making 2500 pairs of these. If you are looking for mid-size monitor speakers, these are really worth a listen.
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.