View Single Post
Old 05-31-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indytown View Post
Jagman, I can't recall that far back.

I would believe it would depend on what sounds good to you with your particular speaker.

A 4 ohm tap for CM would sound different on 804, 803 or 800's.

I would make sure you are happy and content with your source, pre-amp and then experiment with your taps. Make sure all is burned in well and speakers spiked.

Finally you can tweak and finalize the sound with appropriate cabling.

Just some thoughts.
Indy...thanks for the thoughtful considerations! I'm pretty good on all and the amp is the MA8000 Integrated. I'm using Audioquest cables, so I suppose that is one area I could consider a tweak. I used Cardas Golden Cross for years with very good results. I sold all of the cables last year, along with the old Classe Amp, pre-amp, processor and CDP and Hales speakers when we downsized after the last kid was out. I lost a dedicated listening room but gained the whole house
All in all I'm pretty satisfied with my setup, (for the moment), just don't tihink I'll ever be content until I get back to speakers on the scale of the old Hales Trascendance 8's. Those are speakers that easily compare to B&W 803D's, with a similar price point of $10k, but that was way back in 2000. I'm not sure what they would go far today since Paul Hales went out of business around 2005. I do know that the speakers and the 300wpc Classe amp were the best sound I've ever owned, after owning Martin Logan SL-3's through out a good chuck of the 90's. I also loved them, but nothing like the Hales.
I've come to realize that while the CM10's are pretty incredible at the $4k price point, there is quite a leap between them any good speaker in the $10-$15k price range. I also have a nagging thought that while the MA8000 is perfectly capable of powering larger speakers, I would not be content until I had more power on tap, and I'm not ready to upgrade amps.

Last edited by Jagman; 05-31-2015 at 09:57 AM.