View Single Post
Old 04-14-2020, 05:28 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sander View Post
For all the reviewers out there, thanks for giving us a sneak peak at a no doubt great new product from Shunyata.
Aside from all the adjectives, is there anything to say in comparison to its predecessor in terms of its tonal character?
I ask because the V2 now has silver in its core.

In the past the Shunyata snakes has shifted somewhat in tonal character.
From the lush CX series to the more brighter and fast Xtron. The Sigma HC was also somewhat warmer sounding in comparison to the Sigma NR V1.

Is the change in sound subtle or is Shunyata taking a big leap in its tonal character?

Thanks,
Sander.
Hi Sander...

Hmmm...you raise a good question. I'm aware of some of the tonal character that various cables have, including power cables, but interestingly, terms like "warm", "bright", "lush" never came to mind when listening, actually.

I guess if I had to apply audiophile style terms to the Sigma NR v2 is "neutral" but I am really hesitant to do that because that will makes some folks think that it sounds cool, reserved, somewhat lean, blah, blah, blah. And it doesn't. Neither does it sound warm, rich, or lush.

The Sigma NR v2 does not sound like any power cord I've ever heard before. All the regular terms, adjectives, audiophile-type lexicon simply do not apply.

Perhaps SCAudiophile (Mark W) can chime in here as well, but here's the thing: I never thinks in terms of "neutral", "warm", "bright", "lush" when I hear live music. In fact, I don't think in "audiophile terms" at all when I hear live music, and I don't think in "audiophile terms" at all when I with the Sigma NR v2 in the system. I just become immersed in the experience of the music itself.

The Sigma NR v2 let me do that more than any PC I've used, and the Alpha NR v2 comes close to that as well (more on the Alpha NR v2 shortly).
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.