View Single Post
Old 03-12-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
Hi JWH,

My Yggy has been terrific for (almost) the entire time I've had it, including from the first song I played out of the box. I don't think you're going to hear much change after 100 hours, definitely not enough to go from glaring to terrific.

But I did have one short period of sound that I thought of as harsh or brittle, perhaps identical to your glaring. When I upgraded my server, I tried several different cables. One of the cables, a Goldmund, was quite unpleasant. Ironically, this was the most expensive cable I tried. I ended up with a Nordost Blue Heaven S/PDIF that I think cost $300. So before you send back the Yggy, I recommend trying a few different cables. If you have a regular dealer, I'd ask to borrow 3 of his recommendations. If not, I'd go to the Blockbuster Magnolia section and pick up an Audioquest that suits your budget.

Good luck!
Thanks Peter, I have been using the USB & SPDIF so I'm not sure that cables are the issue. I plan to do some tinkering this weekend before I do any critical comparisons.

I have read that Zu Audio recommend an extensive "warm-up" period even for their speakers (cross over networks are electrical circuits). They noted that shipping during winter months can effect this period as well.

My particular unit shipped UPS Ground from CA to SC so it spent almost a week on the road and, presumably, in some cold weather. Significant? I don't know but the range of experiences and opinions on how long it takes the Yggy to settle in are diverse.