Thread: 8802a w/SACD
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 07:22 PM

I’m still using an 8802A and the AK4490 DACs are one of my favorite off the shelf chips.

They do sound good with SACDs and can play them natively in DSD when pure audio mode is engaged. However when you apply room EQ or bass management, the Marantz will have to convert DSD from the Oppo to PCM internally - so it can handle the DSP needed.

I find that with BluRay concerts and multi channel SACD and DVDA, the Marantz does a fantastic job. It does it better IMHO than my older Denon 4810 and even older Onkyo 875 and Yamaha 2700.

But it doesn’t quite stack up against my 2 channel system when I play 2 channel SACD/DVDA/BluRay Pure Audio music on it (PS Audio DirectStream Memory Transport and DirectStream DAC)

I think if you can still source the Memory Transport, it can actually hook up to 3 of the matching DACs to get 5.1 sound. But that seems like a costly exercise

My older Playback Designs MPS5 could also cascade the PLink ST fibre connection to 2 more MPD5 DACs to do the same but you would need a 6 channel analog preamp to handle volume control. (DirectStream has a digital volume control)