View Single Post
Old 03-01-2023, 10:30 AM

This crackling is driving me crazy. It has increased in intensity and frequency. I am going to change out tubes tonight with Gold Lion's I purchased awhile ago.

I'm a novice when it comes to tubes so I want to make sure I do this right. In other words, NOT destroy my equipment. Here are some questions that are floating around in my head.

1) Why does the C2700 use different tubes for the INPUT (12AX7A) and OUTPUT (12AT7)?
2) Am I better to just change one of the tubes out?
3) I don't use the MM or MC tubes so can I just switch those around?
4) Can I replace the 12AT7 (output) with another 12AX7? My research tells me the gain output is the major difference between the tubes. Do I need to worry about clipping? I seem to remember buying both Gold Lion 12AX7 and 12AT7 for this purpose. I'm currently at work not at home.
5) I've never opened up the C2700, is it straight forward? I am an engineer and have no problem tinkering with things.

Part of me is excited to hear the difference another part just wants to get rid of the crackling. Man I hope the tubes are the problem.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

PS. I did remove the MEM220. We will talk later about that.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500