View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Agree with everything you say. I'd start out with running the Special 40s full-range, and then see how you like things. Your points about bass output and room size is a very important consideration. That was one reason I mentioned the smaller REL; it should be easy to integrate, flesh out the lower end w/o overpowering the smaller room. The other thing I found to my surprise was how the lower mids and mids improved by adding my REL sub. BTW, the Special 40s will sound REALLY good with Gumby!
Yes, a great sub that is dialed in is not just about the bass! I used to use a Bryston 10B SUB crossover (not sure if they still make it? )with my two subs, SF monitors and JL subs. I was running the McIntosh MC501s back then. I believe I settled on somewhere around 80Hz and it was an active crossover and a serious tool for the job. To say that the midrange got better would be an understatement. Once you relieve your monitor speakers of doing the low and dirty work, those woofers are free to sing like they've never sung before..