View Single Post
Old 08-07-2021, 10:17 AM

Whatever screwdriver I'll use - it'll be VDE one. A VDE screwdriver saved my life once, and I'll be sticking with those. You ultimately never know when you'll need it. I bought the one that saved me on a whim >10 years prior to the near-accident. I was replacing the cable on a power strip (for a longer one) and opened the power strip... turns out it was still energized, and I was touching the ground with my left hand. If my right hand - which was touching the screwdriver shaft at the time - had been holding a non-VDE screwdriver, current would have gone straight through my heart and killed me. The RCD failed (it doesn't respond to the self-test button), the one hand rule failed, I wasn't even wearing shoes, and I forgot to pull the mains plug. Fortunately enough a bit of paranoia from over a decade ago prevailed and all that happened was that one of my fingers got a bit shocked.

Right now I prefer the Wera modular VDE precision screwdriver kit. They make a set where the insulation is flush with the shaft - so the shaft isn't thicker than the driving head. They're really comfortable and, of course, very safe.