View Single Post
Old 09-23-2017, 11:13 PM

Default Sonos Connect modification

I received the Sonos Connect that I sent to W4S for their modification.

This particular Sonos Connect lives in a two channel audio system in our mountain house. The foot print of the room is a bit small (12 ft x 14.5 ft.) but it opens up to the dining area and kitchen and the ceiling is vaulted (two stories high on one side).

I hooked the Connect unit back to the system. It is fed by ethernet (the internet and a QNAP NAS). It outputs digitally to a NAD M51 DAC which feeds into a NAD M3 integrated amp. The speakers are Dynaudio Focus 160's on stands.

The "foundation" is a Furman 20 PFi power conditioner connected to a 20 amp dedicated circuit. Power cords are Audience "E" series. The other cables are Audioquest (mostly DBS).

The sound from the system is now very, very good. I can't do a direct A/B comparison with how it sounded without the modification, but from memory the improvement is significant. My wife commented about how good the system sounded now. I played a number of familiar cuts (CD Red Book from the QNAP NAS) and they all sounded better than I remembered from the system previously. Streaming audio also sounds very good.

I am pleased with the modification.