View Single Post
Old 01-29-2022, 03:05 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
This is an interesting comparo! Can you tell please us more about the test itself? How did you switch between DACs? Did you match levels?
We initially thought about a very complicated setup so we could level match everything...but in the end, decided to make it fun.

Everything was fed from a MacMini using Audirvana as source through the Berkley Alpha USB to convert to AES to keep all things equal.

From there, we just adjusted volume to "taste".

I recognize this isn't perfect (I did play with the Lumin afterwords as a source, which did a good job taking off some of the rough digital edges when compared with the MacMini...but didn't alter the basic presentation).

Our audience ranged from obsessed hobbyists like myself, to a veteran who owned a hi-fi shop, who's setup probably 10,000 turntables.

Some dacs had us tapping our toes, and some we just wanted to turn off immediately-
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW