View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
I like hearing this. LS3/5As are quite inefficient, most measure at around 83dB, but have a smooth, easy impedance curve. Many Brits powered them for years with 15-20W tube amps. Many people are under the assumption that one cannot use a low efficiency speaker with a lower watt tube amp. But in the right room, and if a listener isn't driving them to concert-level volume, it can be a pleasant combination.

I have a pair of 87db Focals which I sometimes use with my Inspire KT88 and find the combination quite satisfying.

I know of people using Harbeth P3ESR speakers with 10wpc tube amps. Those also measure at 83db. You're not going to be able to play classical music at loud levels with this combo, but it can meet the needs of some.
Bombadil, in the small space where I have this setup, the LS3/5A’s sound great playing Jazz, Blues and other acoustic music. Classical guitar, vocals sound really natural. The 3.1 and the Firebottle mate very well with these 11 ohm Spendors.

You are right about the impedance curve is an important, often overlooked variable. While I would not necessarily recommend the combination for everyone, for my musical tastes and the small room this system is superb.