View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 02:52 PM

Default Mcintosh Group sells Audio Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcxxx View Post
What direction? Upmarket into the ultra esoteric? Stay the course with some cosmetic changes to the current line? They cannot go downmarket and survive as ARC.

I think these are the same sort of strategic choices faced by most companies in the high end market, and for that matter, faced by many smaller companies in other “luxury brand” markets. I don’t think they’re necessarily related to the change in ownership, nor do I see why the change in ownership should make their current road any tougher. In fact, I think it’s quite the opposite: with dedicated ownership integrated with management, and the right funding of course, they will be able to make strategic decisions that are in their own best interests instead of having to worry about the impact on, and influence of, a bigger parent company.

As for going down market and surviving, I have no idea if that’s in ARC’s strategy, but in some cases that can be the best way to survive. down-market volume can help support the high end luxury products, and, if done right, doesn’t have to damage the brand. Look at Focal, for example: no one could argue that their top-of-the-line speakers are not world-class high end products, yet they are quite successful in the lower end of the market and in car audio.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 08-27-2020 at 03:03 PM.