View Single Post
Old 03-01-2020, 06:23 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
Yes, Rega uses Phenolic resin coating or laminate to sheath their low density MDF plinths...............but did you know?

I'm seeing Phenolic resin used in moderation in loudspeakers, turntables, platforms and shelves, could it be cost or too much of a good thing is overkill?

Puma Cat, about Phenolic resin perhaps ringing too much, that is something I may have to experiment with myself.

I was really hoping that the heavy lifting on this topic was already done, and all I had to do was copy and adapt it for my own use.

NOTE: The link provided above is not an endorsement, it is intended as a copyright acknowledgment of where I sourced the images and text from.
Sorry, as far as know, no one's using phenolic resin for audio rack shelves, so, no, I don't think the heavy lifting has been done on that, at least with respect to using it for audio rack shelves. Also, its a term for what I would guess to be a very broad range of materials, just as in the way that "polyurethane foam" is, so I would not expect that the phenolic resin lab benches are made anything like the Rega platter. I will say that the "phenolic resin" platter of my Michell gyro is actually reasonably quiet with the music box mechanism.

I know it doesn't sound "glamorous" or "high-end", but plain old particle board actually works quite well. If you want to go back to a maple rack, Butcher Block Acoustics has some very nice audio racks in maple or walnut that are reasonably priced.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.