View Single Post
Old 08-17-2021, 08:07 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
The V14D was specifically designed for devices that reside entirely in the digital domain; it's noise filter functionality has been optimized for this, and as such, it was designed for digital streamers, network bridges, Ethernet switches, routers, music servers, etc. It also works a treat on HDTVs and AVRs.

Oh, here's an example for you: I recently had to power my Sonore OpticalModule with one of my original Shunyata Venom 3 power cords because I needed the Venom V14D for the Fidata HFAS1 I was reviewing for TAS. Once I was done with the review, I put the V14D back onto the Sonore OpticalModule and heard a very clear improvement in clarity, tonality, and reduction in noise.

The Venom V10, and Delta, Alpha, Sigma NRv2, and Omega PC were specifically designed for noise reduction the internal (full-wave bridge rectifier) power supplies for "analog-domain" components themselves, e.g. amps, preamps, phono stages and DACs (this is why the NR filter is at the component IEC receptacle end).

Yes, in theory. However, the biggest problem are the Furman power conditioner themselves. Any fairly subtle sonci differences between the Venom 10 XC and Venom V10 will be masked by the Furmans.

A much better solution is to use a Shunyata Venom PS8 powered by a Venom NRv10.

My suggestion is to rent in the power cables you're interested and listen for yourself. Once you have listened for a bit and have made an informed decision, our fearless leader, MasterLu, will quickly and effectively get you sussed with any products you may decide you want to get.
Are you saying, then, that the Furmans themselves generate noise apart from what's coming from the wall and pass that on to any equipment plugged into them, or that they pass noise from the wall to the equipment? I remember seeing a demo of the two Furman conditioners I own and they did reduce noise quite well (especially on the high-current outlets), but the Venom NRs reduced noise even more (I watched your demos).

My Furmans (one of which I've had less than a year) have Venom HCs on them and are chained. I'd been kicking around the idea of replacing the HCs with Venom NRs but never got around to it. I have PCs with network modules on my gear and noted consistent improvement there, so I was thinking Venom NRs on both conditioners would help further, though I can't say I have a problem with what I hear now. But perhaps there's more improvement to be had.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 08-18-2021 at 12:00 PM.