View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junker View Post
But this is the post (rant) from Charlie Hansen that really turned me off to their products quite some time ago:

ANOTHER Example of Why I HATE DSD and Why Customers Who Bought Sony's Boloney Are So Annoying
Why?

Charlie's rant seems rather justifiable, especially the bits about the customer turning to the manufacturer of his DAC to try to solve a software issue.

You of course can feel about Ayre how you like for the reasons you like, and I'll be the first to admit that Ayre can, at times, be non-responsive.

But by the same token so can most other audio manufacturers, big or small.

FWIW, the issue of how to hear equipment your dealer doesn't have is an ongoing one. Dealers can't afford to purchase "one of everything," and manufacturers can't afford to supply dealers with new products on a demo basis.

So far the only answer is shows like RMAF, or, if you're lucky, the manufacturer might have a show demo they can let the dealer borrow if the timing works out.

I know when I was in the market to purchase a Wadia CD player/DAC, the only way I got to audition it was to contact Wadia directly and they then drop shipped a unit to my dealer for me as my dealer didn't want to be on the hook for ordering one if I didn't like it (understandable, as who knows when/if they'd ever sell it otherwise.)

On a similar basis, the only reason I got to demo an ARC Reference 2 SE Phono Stage is that ARC just happened to ship one to my dealer in preparation for a "Music Matters" event.