Thread: Midway
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Finally saw this last night - a mixed bag for me: the “hero” acting and dialog were pretty cheesy and over the top at times, but the action sequences were excellent.
Pretty much agree. It's more accurate than the 1976 film, in that there was no "Matt Garth" (a character based very loosely on LCDR Edwin Layton, who, as the current film correctly portrays, was at Pearl during the action).

But it was distracting to see shots of Japanese carriers, whose islands were on the starboard side, making turns hard to starboard with their islands on the port side. (Picky, I know, but I'm a bit sensitive to such detail, having plane-guarded carriers while conning USS Turner Joy in 1964 and nearly being run over by USS Ticonderoga at night when she signaled a port turn and then came hard to starboard at 28 knots.)

Overall, despite the by-necessity excess of CGI, the occasionally less-than-stellar dialog, and the easy-to-spot technical goofs, I think the current film gives a better sense, most particularly in the grit-your-teeth flak-punctuated dive-bombing sequences, of what it must have been like for the actual participants at Midway than the star-studded 1976 version.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 AKM version (to be replaced by inbound Bryston BDA-3), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.