View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyljh View Post
Jerome- its not about opinion, its about fact. A measurable one.

Cellindo is correct, we do now agree.

The spring contact on the female is very low mass which is great sonically, not so great in its resistance to misuse. It does not spring back from any "severe" pressure. Side to side movement opens it wide and it does not come back. Larger jacks- especially locking ones, distort the spring and again it does not spring all the way back. Its not much of a spring, more a piece of foil. I have measured as high as 30 ohms resistance on misused contacts. In the worst cases, which in a way are better, they cut out completely. Mostly I see them still working, just with high resistance causing a real loss of quality.

I loaned my Giscours to a dealer for a few months. It came back with every single jack either not working at all or sounding terrible. As each one eventually cut out, they moved to the next input until it worked no more... Thats an extreme case of misuse by stupidly heavy cables- another issue, heavy cables will pull the jack downward which pushes the hot pin upward and again bad jack over time.

My point is- use things correctly. Its not always opinion, sometimes its the simple facts. Philips screwdriver for a philips screw. Even if you like torx better. Replacing jacks is a tedious job and must be done with the correct solder. I dislike doing this work as do my dealers, so just treat them right from the start.

Jonathan
Now I understand the problem Jonathan. Thanks a lot for the informations !
Very valuable and I feel less stupid.