View Single Post
Old 12-15-2020, 07:16 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
You should be able to back up the Olive to any USB stick or hard drive - USB is always backward compatible. It is possible that a very large drive may be recognized though - I would use no larger than the hard drive on the Olive. Olive uses a very proprietary way to store the music meta-data (i.e. tags) - how big is your library? I 'jail-broke' mine early on, and then moved on from Olive.
Hi clpetersen,
Thank you for your reply.I love my Olive but have only loaded my very favourite cds , around 110GB so might only require 1TB drive for the back up.Although, that said, I just discovered the cd drive does not appear to be happy.I tried to load and rip a Julia Stone CD and it made lots of fluter flutter noise ,and spat the cd back out.Bravely, ( stupidly ) I reinserted, with same result.
I have not tried a different cd but I'm sure I will get around to that, but thought perhaps back up prior to having the unit fail.
I have just had a nice session with Olive and its still awesome for me.
I have not been in residence where Olive is for some time and its nice knowing she still sounds good, despite the loss of maestro and possibly the cd drive too.
Its a world of pain to move to something else with vault 2i perhaps best for me and budget , have been browsing the cocktail i think 40x or similar.
The next question was if the back up is successful will that be able to be downloaded to whatever I purchase to replace Olive, which I assume would be the point of the back up.
Thanks again for your assistance, much appreciated.