Thread: JBL L300's
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 01:39 AM

Hi Ivan,
I am late to this thread but learnt from Dan of your acquisition of the fabulously beautiful MINT condition L300. Well, I was thinking of queuing behind you - waiting for the day when you get tired of them. Well, I know I will be number 4 .... knowing there's at least 2 gentlemen waiting.
However, I would like to post a different idea to you.
The L300's belong to the 70's era, and to savour their THEN best, it would be most appropriate to helm them with the SAME era components, from TT down to whatever pushes them. Of course, TT and arms of that same vintage can still be had, but I suppose the cartridge that plough the vinyls had to be the most recent. As for amps, think the best synergy would be McIntosh and what better than the famous tube amps to match. Certainly, it would be nice to have the amps of the same vintage to complete, but then, the latest C2300+MC2301's I think would be the best ever, if not the just re-issued 60th Anniversary C22/MC75 combo.
Thats my thoughts.

Me? I am embarking on this same vintage journey. I have already started by getting one very mint completely rebuild Thorens TD125 MKII (Solid Caribbean Rosewood plinth, polished mirror shine platter and new acrylic cover) with a new SME M2-9 arm. Still thinking on the cartridge to match.
Speakers? Well, am looking at JBL speakers of old, and the first that captured my attention is a pair of completely restored 4344 MKII with matching speaker stands. May not look as gorgeous as your L300's, but certainly, in its own, it has their charms.
Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar