View Single Post
Old 11-23-2020, 05:08 PM

If I owned the G1 or any other master or word clock, I would be aiming to lower the effective jitter in the circuit to the lowest possible value as I believe that is as others have written in many sources, the secret to the best sounding digital->analog rendering. Back in 2017 and refreshed a while back, a private test was run in Japan by a third party who did an extensive multi-unit test run of units from Isochrome, Esoteric, BVA/Sforzato, Cybershaft and others; I was shown these results and my opinions are based on these numbers so “FWIW” and all that….

The industry reference standard Sforzato tests out at an astounding 34 fs effective jitter with price tag equal to and exceeding the G1.

From data shared with me the G1 comes in a little over 130 fs of jitter though it has great long-term stability, its phase noise stats are a bit lower than the Sforzato.

If I owned the G1, I'd be looking to "discipline" the oscillator with the lowest phase noise, best short-term precision oscillator out there to arrive at the lowest overall jitter timing in the entire circuit driven by the clock.

Esoteric provides for this with a 10 Mhz 'master' clock input even on the back of their master clocks. That means they are open to this concept from the professional world of extreme timing.

Obviously the Sforzato has a price tag that makes owning both prohibitive.

The Cybershaft OP21A I had built in 2017 and in 2019 retrofitted with a multi-output patented distribution amplifier as well as numerous tweaks (the latest Cybershaft 2-box models are descended from the same design principles and perform as well or better than mind) tests with results at the same and lower levels of effective jitter as the mighty Sforzato, 29 fs - 34 fs to be exact in multiple tests.

If I owned a G1 or other clock, I'd discipline it with a Cybershaft, no doubt about it, unless that clock performed at that level or better.

Today's OP21A 2-box units from Cybershaft I am told hit that mark and may beat it.

In my case today, I skipped the G1 altogether and have only the Cybershaft. YMMV…

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 11-23-2020 at 05:44 PM.