View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 03:29 PM

baskinshaw, DG-38 offers three different procedures for the room correction function:

Voicing A - compensation with a target curve, e.g flat.

Voicing B - compensation with auto generated target curve.

Voicing C - compensation using the characteristics of the speakers

I was able to obtain good results only when using the second method, i.e. Voicing B (in the Accuphase manual). The goal of the auto-generated target curve is to make the two speakers have at the listening position responses that are as similar as possible (both in frequency and in loudness). This yields a very good stereo image and soundstage, but in my room leaves quite a few “hills and valleys” below 100 Hz. I handle these manually, i.e. tame down the frequencies for which constructive interferences occurs in my room and/or boost up the ones where destructive interference occurs.

Except for the bass management (which as mentioned still requires some manual manipulation) I find this method very effective. Regarding, the other two methods, IMO they are useless for most users. One really needs to know what he is doing when using Voicing C (as the instruction in the Accuphase manual very brief), whereas attempting to obtain a flat response in most room will suck the life out of the music (I believe that even Accuphase does not recommend this method.)

jdandy, thanks for the welcome!

Last edited by nvp; 09-20-2014 at 11:22 PM.