View Single Post
Old 09-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
I was interested in the Telefunkens for my guitar setup as I like JJ's in that capacity. I spent some time reading reviews, last week, and your review aligns with what the guitar players were saying - compared to the JJ's, the Tele 12ax7 tubes were cooler and brighter. They weren't that well thought of.
Conversely, the amplifier tubes are supposed to be darker and have a stronger, more defined low end compared to their JJ counterparts and people liked those.
I'm surprised that the sound varies in opposite ways between the Tele and JJ tubes.
The Black Diamonds are cryogenically treated. Would that affect the sound this way? My understanding is that cryogenics are more about durability.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 09-09-2016 at 04:54 PM.