View Single Post
Old 09-03-2020, 06:34 PM
George

I think this would be very good combination. I have an Aurender 100H, and Schist Gungnir Multibit (although not used for my main headphone system any more). The Yggy will sound a bit better than mine. Really excellent combo. I have done extensive research on the Yggy for a friend and think if I was in the market for a DAC under $5K I wouldn’t even consider anything else.

My comments are from my point of view and tastes.

Unless you are really addicted to the old paradigm of owning your own files an / or HD ones. I am not sure much disk space is required. Once I moved into the High def streaming world (Tidal), I no longer cared about disk space. I put a thousand albums on my Aurender for the occasional misbehaving wifi / internet provider. I never listen to them. While I own 4,000. albums, having access 60 million tracks has allowed me to explore far more music... and most of my own is there... sometimes in higher Rez. So for the price of one CD or download a month I have access to hundreds of thousands more.

I also own an Auralic Aries G2. To me they sound really similar... although I have never tried a direct compare (the Aries is in my main speaker based system). I like the Auralic control app way better than the Aurender. The Auralic was instantly obvious and useful for controlling music... after months with the Aurender it remains cumbersome and difficult to use. Switching back and forth between the two apps is a constant reminder of the differences. So, if you only have one of the two... it is unlikely to be noticeable.

I use the USB connections as I believe this allows use of the DAC’s clock to retime the bitstream. I have not bothered testing the different connections... I would rather listen to music. I directly compared red book CDs with the streamed equivalent on my main system, I could not tell the difference... they sounded like my DAC. I did not spend weeks making comparisons, but with my DAC / CD player I could do direct switching.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 09-03-2020 at 06:58 PM.