View Single Post
Old 12-04-2020, 12:15 PM

Default The end is near -- the new movie landscape

I am a die hard physical media fan, but it looks like I am going to have to give in to the inevitable. Already Disney has broken the theatrical exhibition plane with Hamilton, Mulan, and a few others.

Warner Brothers had already announced that Wonder Woman 1984 was going to be theatrical and stream on the same date. WW 1984 can be 4K, Dolby Vision and Atmos. Now Warner announces that their full slate of 2021 releases will be day and date theatrical and stream on HBO Max. That's Dune, Matrix 4, Suicide Squad, Godzilla vs Kong, and In the Heights among others.

I'm not a fan of streaming since I don't think it can reach the quality of physical media, but I have watched Hamilton and the Mandalorian on Disney+ and The Aeronauts on Amazon Prime. I am eligible for HBO Max through my cable/Internet provider.

It looks like I am already surrendering to streaming. How does Kaleidescape fit into this new mix?

What does the future hold in store, and how do I adjust to this new, not fully determined model?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...x-and-theaters