View Single Post
Old 04-07-2022, 09:28 PM

Default Wilson LōKē - Wilson's smallest subwoofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectman View Post
I would have assumed Wilson would have used better amplification than a $100.00 (wholesale) plate amp containing substandard parts. Seems like another Wilson money grab very much like several of the latest McIntosh components.

I have owned Wilson speakers and wasn't pleased with their sound (Sophia II) and sold them.

To this point I've had no interest in this thread - I've never been a Wilson guy, they're just not my taste. Not every great speaker, no matter how good, is right for everyone. Having said that, I have great respect for Wilson: they make truly remarkable, state-of-the-art speakers and some of the best in the business. I have heard some amazing setups using Wilsons.

It would never occur to me to so casually throw out such a direct insult using such inflammatory and derogatory language as to accuse a well-respected company of "another money grab," just because there's a lot of garbage on the internet about one component of the new sub. I'm not a speaker designer and have no inside knowledge of the impact on the overall value or performance of component in question, or of the costs of all the other parts, the fabrication labor, and the design hours involved. Without that level of knowledge, there is no way to make a judgement of the cost vs price. Having said that, I do know that every Wilson speaker I have ever seen and heard in person, and there have been many, have exuded quality and value for money spent.

To accuse two world-renowned and respected brands of "money grabs" should require some level of proof. And "proof" doesn't mean just because you had a pair of Wilsons and didn't like them, or think a McIntosh component is overpriced or not your taste. Proof would consist of detailed first-hand knowledge of the design, the cost of parts, the pricing decisions, and most importantly, the intent of the marketing and design teams.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 04-07-2022 at 09:34 PM.