Thread: Grilled Seafood
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 11:36 PM

Grilled is best way for lobster for me - brings out sweetness and juicy if done right. We cut the tails into chunks and cook on a table top grill (japanese hibachi style). It's much easier to get them to perfect doneness.

The heads we steam as I really like the green stuff and it just falls into the grill.

If you are ever in Spain, try the red prawns (from palamos - 40-80euro per kg depending on the size) cooked on steel plate (plancha) with just salt and a little olive oil. Better than lobster (imported canadian 25-30e/kg, european blue lobsters 35/kg, local spiny lobsters 40euro/kg - all live) or langoustines (30-40e/kg live though I've seen huge ones for 100e per kg during christmas).

Octopus is great also (boiled then grilled).

For weird but interesting stuff try the gooseneck barnacles. Technically a crab, meat tastes like very tender sweet crab. Quite expensive 70-80e per kg but I think worth it once or twice.

In japan - grilled eel. There are two kinds freshwater - technically not seafood, grilled steamed, grilled again in sweet soysauce, very fatty savory; the saltwater kind very tender delicate, less sauce. You can buy the precooked freshwater eel in many places and grill on a hibachi. If u get just right the skin is crisp and it will just melt in your mouth.

Also they have big grilled scallops with the coral with butter and soy sauce torched before serving.

Hamachi (farmed yellow tail) jaw grilled with just salt is also superb.