View Single Post
Old 07-01-2023, 06:21 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelahanty View Post
I think your preamp is a very reliable unit. The proceeds from an LS3 sale could be used to improve another piece of your system.
I should look into that, now that you mention it. True, it is my main back-up unit, but it's not doing anything now. There's a slightly older B&K Sonata preamp as well, and it hasn't seen action since 1994. I'd be afraid to try it at this point. Maybe I should take my chances and look into moving both.

The situation has some added factors now. I need surgery to address some neurological/orthopedic issues in my elbow, wrists and hands, which isn't a right-now thing, but I shouldn't wait too long either, says the orthopedic. Success depends upon having the procedure soon as possible, within a reasonable time frame; 6 months, for example, would be too long. Insurance should cover it all, but you never know.

A new contract was negotiated by my union, and there's a pay raise in it. And another retro check. We won't see that until next year though. No help now.

And, I was reminded today of the SweetVinyl Sugar Cube, which I had wanted before but it was unavailable. I'm considering ditching the phono pre and getting an SC-1 or SC-2; the SC-1 Mini/Phono comes with a built-in phono stage, but I have no idea what it sounds like. The phono stage adds another $500 to the SC-1 Mini's regular price, but I'd think it doesn't approach the onboard phono pre in my C2300. I have older LPs that the SweetVinyl unit could help. Definitely a consideration, if it's available.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 07-01-2023 at 06:25 PM.