View Single Post
Old 06-17-2023, 05:06 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
I am considering a move up in the turntable world, which would mean a move from MM to MC cartridges and an external phono stage. A contender for me is the Bryston unit (I am partial to Bryston design philosophy). Extensively reviewed and measured with a lot of commentary on the circuit design here:
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...preamp-review/

Conclusion:
"In my estimation, the Bryston BP2-20 MM/MC is a top-flight example of what a phono stage should be. Unlike some phono preamps that provide so much adjustability that they become almost glorified tone controls; the BP2-20 is focused on simply amplifying those tiny cartridge voltage inputs in the cleanest, most robust manner possible. ...."
The Bryston, with its external power supply, is less than the JC3+ in black; I've seen the silver JC3+ going for about the same price as the Bryston. Not sure why the silver one wouldn't cost the same. But I'm intrigued by it and will look into it more.

And the iMac upgrade voice in my head is quite loud right now. I'm using one at work and like it. The configuration I looked at is $2k, $1820 if I don't max out the RAM. The competition for my checkbook is heating up. I still haven't been playing records much, and need to.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks