Thread: Dynaudio Forum
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2020, 09:48 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Hi, I have a pair of old confidence C2 speakers from 2009. I’m wondering whether an upgrade of the tweeters to a later version would be warranted. Would it improve the sound?
Second question, I am contemplating upgrading my amp which has 500w per channel to a more powerful 900w per channel, bryston 6sst to a bryston 7b3. Is this an overkill or will it make a difference? Unfortunately I cannot bring this home to test.
Your tweeters are fine; my advice is to leave them alone. Possible to upgrade to the new Esotar (3?), but that may also require changing parts in the crossover, and that will be a major hassle and it also may not be practical to do. The Confidence C2 is a fabulous speaker, and if it were me, I would just leave it alone.

As for your amps, they’re fine, too. You don’t need more power unless you were placing the speakers in a considerably larger room.

If you want to make an upgrade that will be truly significant for your system, my advice would be to get a Shunyata Research Everest power distributor and some NR power cords for your amp and preamp if that fits within your budget. And a Sigma XC or higher PC to power Everest. That would make a much bigger difference qualitatively and quantitively than swapping out tweeters or going for a more powerful amplifier. The improvement the Everest will bring will be across the entire musical spectrum, all the time. Unlike swapping out tweeters, or amps, where the benefits will be occasional in the case of the amps, if any, or just one part of the audio spectrum, with respect to the tweeters, the improvements from Everest will fundamentally change the nature of the presentation to sound significantly more like live music produced by real music instruments and human voices, rather than music reproduced by electronic components.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 10-15-2020 at 12:41 PM.