View Single Post
Old 09-01-2023, 02:23 AM
Cool, calm scientist

As some folks might remember, the new 4-outlet Shunyata Gemini power distributor/combination Altaira-type ground hub uses a C15 power cord instead of the C20 specification that's usually used for power distributors. Also, when you buy a Gemini, you can also buy it as a "bundle" with a Venom HC v2 C15 power cord.

So, that's what I was using to power the Gemini that functions as the power distributor (and Altaira-type ground hub) for the EtherREGEN switch, router and Alita, my Akasa NUC Roon core that all reside in the remote server room, as shown...

Well, tonight, I replaced the Venom HC v2 with the new Shunyata Venom-X EF (for "extra-flexible") power cord.

You know, the one that looks like this (Shunyata's pic, not mine. ).

I put in the Venom-X "extra flexible" PC as I thought it would be easier to route along the wall and behind the piece of furniture that's between Gemini's AC wall receptacle and the IKEA Lack table that functions as the "rack" for Gemini, the music server, router, ER, and Alita (and, as it's "extra-flexible, sure enough, it is easier to route) than the really stiff and heavy Venom HC v2 PC.

I gotta admit, I wasn't expecting a whole lot here, but as soon as I powered up the gear in the remote server room and pulled up a track in Roon in the listening room....it was: "Oh, my!"

Everything, I mean everything, about the presentation is better. It's also notably more natural- and "organic"-sounding. More spacious with more depth to the soundstage. And, "relaxed" as Hans Beekhuizen is fond of saying.

Whelp, another home-run for the gang at Shunyata.

Turns out the quality of the power cables, power distributor and grounding for the music server "componentry", in another room, no less, matters as much as the gear in the main rack.

The system just keeps getting better and better...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 09-01-2023 at 02:30 AM.