View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 02:56 AM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille162 View Post
Interesting. Neighbor has a subzero/wolf/etc repair business and most of what I know came from his warnings about it’s care and use when he installed my parents. The warning of using the cast iron was scratching/cracking the glass to not that it wouldnt/couldnt work. Not sure what your cast iron skillet weighs but my 12” lodge skillet is just over 8lbs, staub 12” grill pan is just over 11 lbs and my staub cocotte is 17lbs. IF you’re really careful and don’t move it around, I don’t see why you couldn’t use it, but for the average person it’s def not recommended for daily use. I pick them up, slide around, tilt up and drop down carelessly, throw in the oven, throw back on stovetop, etc...I don’t want to have to be gentle when lifting a hot/full 9qt container filled with simmering liquid (full is just about 20lbs).

The all purpose sprays work fine till something hits the side of your pan, drips down, burns in between...like I said above, if you’re a neat cook, a glasstop (induction or electric) is fine. But remember it’s not just the stovetop surface but also the pan surface you have to keep perfectly clean. If you’re the type that moves around pans, shuffles, spills and abuses their range like a commercial environment then gas is a better choice...then again I’m not a home cook and my professional culinary background, catering company, and short stint at owning a food truck def gives me a biased opinion on pushing equipment to it’s limits. I agree that it CAN be done by stand by my analysis on recommendation on ideal usage of each type.

I have an 1800w countertop induction plate and use it for long/low simmering, holding a specific temp or just boiling water when stovetop space is tight. I can flambe too onsite when there’s adequate ventilation (use a lighter to start the flame). Induction is a nice tool to have, but it’s not an essential tool for me, and one I use to compliment my primary gas range.
We've been using 3 different cast ion skillets on our induction for 10 years without any problems. No scratches. You just leave it alone while it's doing its thing. I'm sure if you started picking it up and sliding it back and forth and up and down you might scratch it. Same thing would happen with an electric glass top smooth top. Induction has even heat which means you don't have to move pots and pans back and forth while cooking.