View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 07:16 PM

Whats best for you depends on what kind cook you are.

If you are a good baker, are very “clean” in your cooking space, follow recipes, and like precision and consistent results, induction is good for you.

If you cook by taste, experiment in ingredients, and generally make a bit of a mess, gas is a better choice.

Induction is clean, your pan bottom has to stay clean and perfect (no bits of burnt anything or it’ll keep pan from sitting flay and will make a mess of your nice glass countertop). Precision control and limited pan options mean you have to plan out your overall meal plan and timing. You put your pan down and cant movs it.

With gas you can use your cast iron pan (can’t use on glass cooktop), you can shake and move your pan around over the heat without loosing heat (like when I make risotto or stirfry or even sautee’ing anything). You can tilt off heat and collect juices to spoon over the top when searing proteins like chicken breast or a piece of fish. You can crank the heat for a quick sear, throw in the oven, then return to quick heat on the stove to deglaze and make a pan sauce. You can flambee. Cleanup is easier as alot of the messy splatter or spills burn up in the flame, but when you do spill a little oil, you dont have to cool the stovetop to wipe down clean before using the next pan (induction tops have to be kept just as clean as your pan bottom).

Basically, induction is a great choice for a home/hobbyist who cooks basic meals. Gas is a better choice for a more advanced chef who likes to get their hands a little bit dirty and use various techniques.

If you do go with gas, you’ve always got the option of a plug-in countertop induction plate you can dedicate to boiling water or long low temp simmers/reductions.

If you go with induction, invest in a multi-stage cleaner and use it everytime you cook. The second a bit of oil or food gets onto that glass top it gets onto your pan and creates a mess to clean up. My parents stove gets a spray clean/wipe, then a white carwax like paste that dries and then is buffed off with a microfiber cloth. Razor blade glass scraper kept on hand for anything burnt/stubborn on the glasstop. Barkeepers friend to the bottom/outside of every pan pretty much everytime anything is done other than boiling water. I hate cooking there...

On my gas range, my cast iron pans amd carbon steel pans are thrown about and abused with love while my copper pans have a lovely patina to them and take zero effort to clean after cooking. My kitchen def gets hotter (and noisier as pans are tossed around with little regard to the burner surface) but hey, if you can’t stand the heat lol...