View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahug View Post
We have a 30 inch gaggenau induction cooktop (as well as a wolf all gas range and a viking all gas range and a wood fired oven here and there). I'm a proficient hobby cook.

Induction works well and will boil a pot of water faster than gas. It's also easier to clean up. The glass surface on a high end unit does not get scorchingly hot as it only heats up the metal in pan. It's also less of a fire hazard (some apartments do not allow gas) and vs using bottled gas you don't run out.

The main negatives for me are 1) Heat level is much less intuitive, simply based on the numbers. I think there are some induction cooktops which include LED lights to simulate intensity. 2) In addition to not working on all pans (must be magnetic), your pan has to sit more or less flat on the cooktop. Some of my favorite and most used pans (thin blue steel french saute pans which are non stick when seasoned) warp or deform when heated. These don't heat up evenly with induction. Flat bottomed carbon steel woks or wide paella pans are likely not to sit flat. Also if you plan to season carbon steel pans, this incredibly difficult with an induction hob. This is not insurmountable, just buy all clad type cookware. 3) Cast iron is not recommended as it can scratch the glass. I have not tried it myself. 4) It's harder to flip food on a saute pan as I fear I will crack the glass if the pan bangs on it by accident.

Overall I prefer gas, but the induction is reasonably capable. If you like carbon steel cookware, it's somewhat of a bother. But a good cook never blames his tools.

I agree, when we refurbed out kitchen we changed from gas to induction (Bosch Serie | 8 60 cm Cooktop Induction)

Pros: very easy to clean, boils water fast, good for low heat simmering
Cons: less than a year old & control panel had to be replaced (under warranty), hopeless with a wok, heat levels below 4 have very little difference, need flat bottomed pots, control panel throws a fit if a hot pan gets close to it.

I still like induction cooktops, but would still have a gas ring next to it for wok cooking.