Thread: Which Knife?
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2020, 05:10 PM
Retired

Thanks for that tip.
Once I saw they were in with Kershaw (am a Ken Onion fan - carry his pocket knives) and Kai scissors (which make great gifts for folks who don't know about how good a pair can be) I figured I could not go wrong. I want steak knives for Xmas and am looking forward to seeing if they should be Cutco or Shun.

Edit: After a week with the Shun, it will be Cutco for me from now forward. The Cutco blades are simply more substantial and feel like a 'real' knife in the hand to me. Obviously, YMMV.

Edit 2: After another week I'm more pleased with the Shun. Its light weight is quite handy as a paring knife, if a bit long. The thin blade does a good job slicing mushrooms and other smaller pieces like dicing Roma tomatoes for our omelette, etc. So, it does have its place. Will stick with Cutco for the steak knives.

Edit 3: Handle on our ancient cheapo bread knife broke. Found a Henckels on sale with free 2-day delivery so went for it. Very nice. Been doing a fair bit of bread baking during these times of 'staying safe', and the Henckels does an excellent job. Highly recommended.

Edit 5: After another 8mon of cooking with all these knives I've found that each is an excellent piece for various uses. With its thin blade the Shun is excellent for slicing thru dense veggies like raw potatoes for au gratin and mushrooms. The Global 7" Santoku is great for rocking thru celery & carrots to dice for soups, etc. Horses for courses.

Pic is start of fish stew, which has become a staple for us in cold weather. Delicious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Global.jpeg (308.5 KB, 60 views)
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 01-19-2021 at 01:27 PM.