Thread: Higher End DACs
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2020, 10:49 PM
Racing Hoopties

Default Higher End DACs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You know, I don't think you are "stuck" at all. I have always gone for the speaker. You are fortunate in that you have found your speaker and amps, now you can concentrate on the DAC. Why dCS? In the Esoteric line there are much better DAC's. If you like the sound of Esoteric move up the line. You have a long way to go to get to a Grandioso DAC, Master Clock, and Transport.

I really like Esoteric Digital. They have obviously concentrated a lot of their prowess into their digital line.

Hey Charles,

For sure moving up the Esoteric line would not be a move backward but I honesty am not sure it would be a step forward or at least a big enough step to justify the cost.

I have given thought to finding a DAC with a volume control and selling my K-03x, Cybershaft Clock AND my C1100 PreAmp to pay for it. The Lampizator Pacific or GG come to mind.

But there is no way I would make that big a move without being able to audition it in my room. I am just too risk adverse on a retirees budget.

To the OPs question, when starting out the issue is simpler. Jump into a brand you learn to trust as high up the line as you feel comfortable with. Find a couple of them and then zero in on as much comparison listening as possible.

Once you buy it, enjoy the heck out of it until you become like me, and see things seemingly evolving. THATs when the really tough decision occurs.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Last edited by crwilli; 02-08-2020 at 10:53 PM.