Thread: No523 vs No52?
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2018, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioIdiot View Post
Thanks George,
I am glad I wasn't the only one who questioned their choices.
There is a full written analysis waiting to be posted, but I need to reach 10 posts .... !!!!
Peter
Peter,

So I went back tonight and did some reading on the 32 Reference as its been a long time and my memory isn’t what it once was ... I was surprised to find that it made use of the instrumentation quality op amps like the 52. Actually the op amp boards look very similar to what was in the 326s. Both were a substantial upgrade over the 380. If you go back real far you can find units that used actual transistors mounted on heat sinks but that appears to have changed in the later Madrigal era. Harmon continued that up until now and I’m guessing will bring out new Ref product that follows their new design directions. I’ve owned a 380, 326 and now 52 Ref and the 52 is the best but the 32 is very very good and if you find one in great condition you’ll have an excellent unit at a bargain price. I did listen to a 32 but it’s been a while

In fact ... the 52 seems to be more of a refinement of the 32 rather than re-invented. There are a ton of open box pictures on the web of both units and there are a ton of design similarities between them. One of the biggest differences was the material for the circuit board which I believe stopped being available at some point on the 32. I can only say I wish they had ‘refined’ the 33H rather than produce the 53’s! I’m betting the next Ref amp isn’t too many years away now that the 536s bests the 53s in many areas IMHO.

George