View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
I am working for a store now which does sell AR. BUT I also get access to PS Audio and PrimaLuna

I bought the Ref5 and Ref5SE before I started working for the store FWIW. Back when I was working crazy hours as a project manager and getting paid for it these days the money isn’t so good but it is a great semi retirement job.

I’ve heard the LS27 and it sounded OK but didn’t really wow me the way the Ref5SE did. The LS28 - now that’s the one that shocked me. I did a lot of ABs and it was honestly tough telling the difference between that and the 5SE. I like to think the 5SE sounded better. But that could be my ego talking

You definitely should consider the PS Audio BHK Preamp in the mix as well if you are looking at the LS28 price range. A slightly different flavor but Class leading in its own way.

For the record, I don’t sell Ayre - but its implementation of volume control in the KXR is IMHO the best in the world. I would get that if I didn’t want a tube preamp.
Thanks man. I was just kidding around about being a dealer since you had compared so many high end AR preamps. I’ve heard some say that the 6H30 tubes used by AR are a little on the lean sounding side. If you had to choose between the LS27 and the PL, which way would you go? Don’t know why but I’m really liking the PL’s dual mono layout with tube rectification.

Cheers,
Wes