View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Here's my thoughts, FWIW: if you're COMPLETELY happy with your Ref 6 and you are having engaging and involving musical experiences, consider standing pat.

In some respects the high-end audio upgrade cycle reminds me of Photoshop upgrades....every 18 months, Adobe wanted customers to pony up another $150 to $200 for the latest rev. After CS4, Photoshop got so powerful that folks were skipping upgrade cycles. This is what caused Adobe to force customers into a subscription model.

Given the Adobe example, as the upgrade merry-go-round never stops, you could pass this time, and get on the at the next upgrade.

I remember how long and painful it was to burn in the caps of my CT-5 when it was new, and, Ugh! I wouldn't want to go through that again.

Just my 2¢....
A very good point - there are definitely times I've had systems "locked in", and any change, even those "can't miss" upgrades, could upset the balance. Right now is one of those times. In fact, this is the best my system has ever sounded. I am incredibly satisfied by it. I have worried about whether the voicing has changed in any way that could me meaningful to my current sonic balance, as well as whether new caps would need arduous burn-in again. Though from what little I've read, the output caps that were subject to the "600+ hours burn-in" mantra have not changed in this upgrade?

Also a bit disheartening to hear nobody's been upgraded yet. I'm definitely OK to sit tight for a while!