View Single Post
Old 07-06-2022, 01:32 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famester V1 View Post
Stephen,
I don't recall getting very deep into this, but I finally have my streaming system set up.
The wired internet signal enters my music room and goes into a Cisco model SF 302-08P switch which has SFP cages built in and then via a Transparent wired ethernet cable to the Uptone EtherRegen you recommended. Then I have a Shunyata Sigma Ethernet cable going to the Aurender N200 and from the Aurender I have a Shunyata Sigma USB cable into the LampizatOr Baltic 3. I have AT&T Fiber Optic Gigabit service.
The sound is fantastic! Very highly pleased with your recommendations.
My next step is to improve the connection between the Cisco switch and the EtherRegen. I spoke to Alex Crespi at Uptone who said I needed a pair of SFP transceiver/receiver and a single mode Fiber Optic cable.
1-Are there any specific brand/models of SFP receivers/transmitters/fiber optic cable that you recommend? I saw there were many models and brands available. Also the speed of the SFP receiver/transmitter can vary depending on model.
2-Where can I get these that fit the Cisco switch and UpTone EtherRegen?

As a follow up to the Ops original post
I was having issues with the Apple Ipad wi-fi connection to the Aurender. It is a long story but one of the things I tried was a different ethernet switch instead of the Cisco. Everything else remained the same, including the EtherRegen. The Cisco sounded MUCH better than the replacement (Trendnet) switch. I swapped it back and my sound improved dramatically, so yes, anything before the streamer up to the modem will make a huge difference in SQ.

Thanks for all of your help.
Regards,
Fred

PS The Cisco switch is my main switch for my entire network. I happen to have wired ethernet throughout my entire house. I connected one of the Cisco's ethernet ports to my EtherRegen via ethernet cable, which I want to try a fiber optic connection in place of my Transparent ethernet cable.
Hi Fred,
Glad you've had such good experiences with your recent upgrades. Yeah, the Sigma digital cables really take things to another level.

For an optical transceiver that works well with ER, the Sonore OM, I've found the Finisar FTLF8519P3BNL 1000BASE-SX 2.125Gb/s 850nm LC Connector SFP Transceiver optical transceivers work the best that I've found, to date. I use Tripp-Lite optical fiber with LC/LC terminations. I bought my Finisars from Amazon.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.