View Single Post
Old 07-06-2022, 01:23 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by saru View Post
That helps a LOT, thank you for the suggestions! I have a few questions as follow-up:
I noticed you didn't list the Delta option among the Shunyata ethernet line, any reason why I should pass it over? I feel the step to Venom would immediately put myself in "shoulda gone higher" territory, so I suppose I'm looking toward the Alpha...
In my experience, the new Venom-X is better than the Delta Ethernet cable. The entire new Venom-X line is veritable breakthrough for cables, accross the board, doesn't matter what the cable is. Re-sets the bar, entirely.

Quote:
[*]That AfterDark LPS is really tempting (as is the Uptone JS-2), but I remember reading that it's poor form to power both the ER and its clock from the same LPS unit because the external clock port is on the other side of the ER "moat", thereby circumventing the isolation effect of the moat. Thoughts on that notion?
I don't agree with that notion and it's not at all consistent with my experience. The AfterDark LPS was specifically designed to power BOTH the EtherREGEN and the AfterDark Master clock. It is better-sounding than the (no longer available) Uptone LPS-1.2 that I used to use with my ER, and it flat trounces the Keces P3 (which I've come to the conclusion is a sub-par sounding LPS). Adding the Master Clock is a BIG upgrade.

Quote:
For that same isolation reason, I don't have the ER plugged into the Furman with the rest of my downstream system, but instead I've got it plugged direct to wall on a separate circuit -- I was hoping to someday pick up one of those 2-plug Hydra PCs or something similar to use it with. Are these concerns now considered unfounded, because I'd much rather have the ER powered through the Furman (and eventually the Denali).
A great power distributor for the ER would be the Shunyata PS10. Unless you get a Denali, of course. The PS10 is what I use for the Uptone LPS-1.0 that powers my router, Sonore OM (OpticalModule) and my Mac Mini in the remote music server room (which connects to the main rack via optical fiber). It made a big improvement when I moved the remote server room devices from my old Hydra 4 on to the new PS10. Not subtle, at all.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.