View Single Post
Old 10-19-2019, 01:56 PM

Default Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakegt3 View Post
Actually I was somewhat disappointed in the Diablo's. I was hoping they would capture some of the sound qualities of the bigger Utopia speakers, minus the bass, but that's not the impression I came away with. Yes, the bass was kind of thin, but the Diablo's did not exhibit the same transparency and wide open sound stage of the Sopra 3's. I know that speaker setup and the equipment driving that's driving them can make a difference, but the Sopra's in the same listening room, driven by the same electronics (Audio Research) simply sounded more musical to my ears. It's not that the Diablo's are a bad speaker but rather the Sopra 3's are simply magnificent speakers.
The Diablos need a REl sub to sound their best. In a smaller room they certainly work magic. In a larger room they beat a pair of Electra 1028 beIIs but the image wasn't as big in that room.

I now have the Sopra 3s and they fit that big room very well, while the Diablos are certainly playing very nicely with a small REL sub fed by PL gear and a chord DAC