View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 01:45 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmig View Post
If you're wanting an amp under $1K (maybe even $2K) look no further - Aegir is a great value :-) Although its probably best to only pair it with speakers that are at least 87dB @ 1 watt input. If you need more power, you can always get two and run mono provided you can send them differentially balanced signal. 80 watts mono should be enough to satisfy most anyone listening to "music". At $1598 for two - I can't think of a better way to go. Then again I have not heard Aegir run as mono blocks. I assume they would retain their easy, sweet and open character, but I don't know for sure. Anyone tried them as monoblocks?
Hi Soundmig,
Respectfully disagree (just a little bit! ). My Dyns are 4 ohm nominal and 86 dB @ 1watt and if I were to hazard a guess, the Aegir would drive them to very satisfactory SPLs just fine. Why? Because most of my listening is done at average of approx 70dB or so. I would estimate 85% is between 65-75 dB, and 95% is at 65-80dB. Once the SPLs get past 82 or 83 dB, I'm reaching for the volume control. No way I'd be listening at 87dB (except for very occasional loud transients). YMMV, of course, based on the size of the room, but, when one does most of their listening between 68-72 dB (with notably less than 1 watt of power would be required), 20 watts of Class A power at 8 Ohms and 40Wpc at 4 ohms should be more than enough for most people, most of the time.

Cheers, PC
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 06-01-2019 at 01:50 PM.