View Single Post
Old 05-08-2021, 09:58 AM
Retired

Is your amp an original 4B or one of the follow-on generations (-ST, -SST, etc.)? I find Bryston amps to be very flat in their frequency response from bottom to top. 'Revealing' would be a good description. With poorly recorded digital music they can be ruthless.

Regardless, having owned several -ST, SST and other Bryston amps I was never successful (to my ears) matching one of them with metal-domed tweeters. As you state, a bit bright for my tastes. Especially for longer-term listening. I found Bryston amps to be a wonderful match to soft-dome tweeters such as those used in Joseph Audio speakers, etc. The one exception to the metal-domed tweeters I found was Focal's inverted dome Be tweeter used in their top-end speakers (and some earlier Wilson speakers), which did not suffer from this 'brightness'.
As always, all amps & all speakers do not play well together and YMMV.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag