View Single Post
Old 04-25-2021, 04:35 PM

Default Scala Evo or SF Il Cremonese

Hi.
I am hoping some of you can help me spend some $$$.

I’m looking at upgrading my Focal Scala V1.
I am driving them with MC275LE monos. REL G1X2, McIntosh C500, Aesthetix Rhea Eclipse, ClearAudio Ovation and Koetsu Jade Platinum round out the rig.

It’s time for an upgrade.

What I love about my current system is it’s PRAT, ability to place artists in the room and overall musicality. Classic rock sounds amazing especially bass guitar, piano and drum kits.

What I miss is more ambiance, deeper space and increased air.

Following Paul McGowan’s recommendations start with the speaker.
My local dealer suggests to upgrade the Focals especially for the improved midrange and vocals.
I heard the Scala V2’s and did not feel it was worth the upgrade. I have not heard the Evo yet due to pandemic restrictions.
I have heard the SF IC but felt it would be a lateral move away from PRAT and dynamics more towards ambiance and air. I am not willing to sacrifice what I have already.
I have heard Wilson’s, not sure which ones a few years ago and they sounded upfront and alive but were using AR 160M’s.

I am looking for any suggestions please.
I believe I would probably replace my MC275’s with MC901’s eventually.
My room is heavily treated with 6 20 amp dedicated fuse runs.
All cabling is Shunyata, a few generations old.
Turntable needs to be upgraded and the Aesthetix is a little noisy with all those tubes but man does it bring the magic.

I considered the Magneplaner 30.7 but my room is too small. I really am not a fan of the 20.7.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Segal